Originally aired on November 7, 2023
In this episode of Edge of AI, several key topics in the field of AI and technology are discussed. Microsoft announces a $3.2 billion investment in Australia to enhance its AI and cloud computing capabilities, while Shutterstock introduces new AI-powered editing features for its image library. Sentml, a software platform, raises $27 million in funding to enhance its product development and expand its workforce. OpenAI launches the AI Preparedness Challenge and forms a team to assess and evaluate AI models. Amazon unveils an AI image generation tool for advertisers, and Cisco introduces AI tools to improve video conferencing performance. Overall, the episode explores the latest developments and applications of AI in different sectors.
What is Microsoft’s investment in Australia for?
- Microsoft will invest $3.2 billion over the next 2 years to strengthen its AI and cloud computing capabilities in Australia.
- The investment aims to address the growing demand for cloud computing driven by the increasing use of AI technology.
- Microsoft will provide AI and Cloud skills training to 300,000 Australians and expand its data center footprint in the country.
How did Shutterstock enhance its image library with AI?
- Shutterstock introduced new AI-powered editing features for its 700 million stock image library.
- Users now have access to AI-powered design tools for editing images from Shutterstock’s library.
- The AI editing features utilize the latest open AI GPT technology and are currently in beta.
- Artists whose AI-edited images are licensed will be compensated.
What is the purpose of Sentml’s funding and platform?
- Sentml, a software platform, raised $27 million in seed funding to enhance product development and research capabilities.
- The funding will also be used to expand the engineering team and global workforce.
- Sentml’s platform helps identify bottlenecks during AI model training and predicts the total time and cost to deploy a model.
- It can automatically optimize model training workloads to enhance hardware performance.
What AI tools did Amazon and Cisco introduce?
- Amazon rolled out an AI image generation tool for advertisers to generate backgrounds based on product descriptions and themes.
- The tool is currently in beta testing and allows advertisers to easily create ad images based on text input.
- Cisco introduced multiple AI tools at the WebEx One customer conference to improve video conferencing performance.
- The tools include a real-time media model for audio and video enhancement, noise removal, gesture recognition, and more.
What is the AI Preparedness Challenge by OpenAI?
- OpenAI has launched the AI Preparedness Challenge to assess and evaluate AI models for potential risks.
- The challenge offers a $25,000 prize and a job offer to the top 10 submissions.
- OpenAI aims to protect against critical risks in AI systems and research AI’s ability to fool humans and create malicious codes.
- The challenge invites ideas for risk studies from the AI community.