Originally aired on October 19, 2023
In this episode of the Edge of AI podcast, the host discusses various topics surrounding cutting-edge technology and AI. Some of the key highlights include the IPO of Russian technology firm Astra, the seed funding raised by AI software development startup AnySphere, the launch of Adobe’s AI-powered content creation and analytics add-on by marketing platform ISU, the updated AI models for Adobe’s generative AI image creation service Firefly, the security concerns faced by the tech industry in Israel amidst the ongoing conflicts with Hamas, the AI-driven shopping app launched by Clara in collaboration with OpenAI, and the growing adoption of generative AI with a lack of ethical principles guiding its use. The episode also touches on the rising demand for AI talent in China and the job market opportunities in the AI and blockchain sectors.
What was the outcome of Russian technology firm Astra’s IPO?
- Astra raised three and a half billion rubles in its IPO on the Moscow exchange.
- The company specializes in AI and data software solutions with notable clients being Russian government entities and state-run enterprises.
- Astra’s recent IPO increased its market valuation to $71.9 million.
How much seed funding did AI software development startup AnySphere raise?
- AnySphere raised $8 million in seed funding led by OpenAI with participation from notable investors such as former GitHub CEO Nat Friedman and Dropbox co-founder Arash Ferdowsi.
- The funding will support AnySphere’s AI and machine learning research and hiring initiatives.
- AnySphere’s AI-driven code editing platform Cursor features generative AI capabilities powered by OpenAI models.
What AI-powered add-on did marketing platform ISU launch for Adobe Express?
- ISU introduced an AI-powered add-on for Adobe Express, enabling aid-driven content creation, publishing, and data analytics for content creators and marketers worldwide.
- The add-on allows users to generate mobile-optimized articles and offers content performance-based data analytics.
- ISU’s CEO highlighted the time-saving benefits of AI-powered tools for content publication and analysis.
What updates were made to Adobe’s generative AI image creation service, Firefly?
- Adobe announced the updated AI models for Firefly, improving its rendering of human features like face, skin, body, and hands.
- Firefly users have generated over three billion images since its launch, with one billion images generated in September alone.
- The new model has been trained on recent images from Adobe stock and other safe sources.
How is the tech industry in Israel affected by the ongoing conflicts with Hamas?
- The Israeli tech and AI sectors are experiencing disruptions in their operations due to the series of deadly attacks by Hamas militants.
- Intel Corp, Israel’s largest private employer and exporter, is closely monitoring the situation and taking measures to support its workers.
- Nvidia has canceled its AI Summit in Tel Aviv in response to the security concerns.
What is the AI-driven shopping app launched by Clara?
- Clara, in collaboration with OpenAI, launched an AI-driven shopping app that allows users to buy products directly from photos taken with their mobile devices.
- The app can recognize over 10 million products, including clothing, home decor, and electronics, and provides price comparisons, retailer details, and customer reviews.
- The app is available in the US, UK, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway.