An Ocean In A Lab | Grant Deane | Wondros Podcast EP 205
Originally aired on May 17, 2023
Jesse and Priscilla talk with mathematical physicist Dr. Grant Deane about his giant indoor ocean wave and his research on ocean dynamics.
How is the machine that Grant built and can recreate ocean storms in a lab?
- The ocean in a lab allows scientists to study the interactions between the ocean and atmosphere during a storm.
- The machine is 100ft long, 8ft wide, and can create waves and simulate wind blowing over the ocean.
- It allows researchers to study the complex interactions of the ocean and atmosphere during a storm in a controlled laboratory setting.
- Grant Deane’s work is important for understanding and predicting the effects of climate change on our oceans and the planet overall.
- The lab-created ocean storms provide insights into the behavior of real-world ocean storms, leading to better predictions and preparation for natural disasters.
- Grant Deane’s work has been recognized with an Emmy Award for outstanding science and environmental programming.