Jesse and Priscilla talk with attorney, author, and law professor Josh Fairfield about how law can keep up with technology, human rights, and threats to democracy. While technology moves quickly, law is slower to adapt, but it is necessary to ensure cooperation and protect against abuse.
What is the relationship between law and technology?
Law is a language that helps us live together and work things out as a group, and it enables cooperation through the use of force. While technology moves quickly, law is slower to adapt, but it is necessary to ensure cooperation and protect against abuse.
- Law is a language that helps us live and work together as a group and enables cooperation through force.
- Technology is advancing at a rapid pace, making it difficult for law to keep up
- Cooperation is essential for group success, and law allows for this through the use of force
- Law creates a system to prevent private abuse and enable collective functioning
- Law needs to be adaptable to keep up with new technology and societal changes
- Despite challenges, there is hope for cooperation and evolution through law and technology
- Law is necessary to protect against the harms of new technology and ensure safety in society.
1:37 – What does language mean
4:52 – Can a nation succeed
6:24 – The hallucination
9:18 – What is the law
14:29 – New law
18:27 – Who is the builder
23:09 – How will we extend the law
29:49 – The threat of biotism