Originally aired on September 6, 2023
This What’s Trending episode discusses the journey of popular YouTube duo Smosh, comprised of Ian Hickox and Anthony Padilla. It highlights their humble beginnings, rise to YouTube stardom, and recent reunion. The episode delves into how Smosh started their YouTube career in 2005, their early content, and the video that shot them into the spotlight. It covers the challenges they faced, including selling Smosh to a parent company and Padilla leaving due to creative differences. The episode also mentions how Rhett and Link, of Good Mythical Morning, saved Smosh by acquiring it in 2019. Finally, it explores Ian and Anthony’s plans for Smosh moving forward, aiming to create content for both their loyal fanbase and new audiences.
What were Smosh’s early YouTube videos like?
- Smosh’s first video was uploaded in 2005, titled “Power Rangers theme.”
- Their early content mainly consisted of lip syncing and quick skits.
How did Smosh gain popularity?
- Smosh’s video titled “Pokemon theme music video,” posted in 2005, propelled them into the spotlight.
- They battled with other YouTube channels but held the title of the most subscribed Channel multiple times.
What challenges did Smosh face?
- In 2011, Smosh sold to Divine Media in hopes of achieving growth, but it didn’t go as planned.
Anthony Padilla left Smosh in 2017 due to creative differences with the parent company, Defy Media.
How was Smosh saved from bankruptcy?
- Rhett and Link, renowned YouTube veterans of Good Mythical Morning, bought Smosh in 2019 to save the channel.
What are Ian and Anthony’s plans for Smosh?
- They aim to honor their long-time viewers while also creating new content for fresh audiences.
- The goal is to strike a balance between providing something for loyal fans and innovating.