Originally aired on September 7, 2023
In this episode of The Bad Crypto Podcast, hosts Joel Comm and Travis Wright discuss a new podcast app called Fountain.fm that allows listeners to earn Bitcoin while listening to podcasts. They are joined by Fountain co-founder Nick Molster, who explains how the app works and its potential for connecting creators with their audience. Fountain is built on the Bitcoin Lightning Network and offers features such as boosting podcasts with Satoshis, sharing clips, and leaving comments. The app aims to decentralize podcasting and provide a practical way for podcasters to monetize their content. The hosts express their enthusiasm for the app and encourage listeners to try it out.
The Problem with Podcasting:
- Nick Molster explains that podcasting has been held back due to its fragmented ecosystem and reliance on centralized platforms like Apple. Podcasts can be easily deplatformed, creating a need for a decentralized podcasting solution.
- Apple’s centralized library controls the distribution of podcasts across different apps.
- Adam Curry’s Podcasting 2.0 movement aims to decentralize podcasting and create new standards for the industry.
- Value for Value is a specification that integrates Bitcoin payments into podcast apps, allowing direct payments to podcasters.
- Nick Molster introduces Fountain.fm, a podcast app built on the Bitcoin Lightning Network that allows listeners to earn Satoshis for listening, sharing clips, leaving comments, and boosting podcasts.
- Listeners earn daily rewards for their first hour of listening, earn extra Satoshis by listening to promoted episodes, and receive tips from other listeners for their clips and comments.
- Podcasters can claim their show on Fountain and receive direct Bitcoin payments from listeners, driving podcast discovery through social interaction and boosting.
Boosting Podcasts with Satoshis:
- Fountain’s boosting feature allows listeners to send Satoshis along with comments to show their support for a podcast episode.
- Boosting a podcast not only supports the podcaster financially but also drives podcast discovery through a social layer.
- Boosted episodes are visible to the user’s followers, incentivizing engagement and creating a network effect.
Future of Decentralized Podcasting:
- Nick Molster discusses the future of decentralized podcasting and the addition of music to the Fountain platform.
- Fountain plans to support music podcasts, allowing musicians to publish tracks to an RSS feed and earn Satoshis from listeners.
- Combining music and podcasts opens up new possibilities for creating music radio shows and DJs to engage with their audience.
Popular Podcast Categories on Fountain:
- Nick Molster mentions that Bitcoin podcasts have been quick to adopt the Fountain app, but other categories, such as gaming, politics, and liberty-focused podcasts, have also gained popularity.
- Fountain provides a space for podcasters to monetize their content and a platform for listeners to support their favorite shows.
- The app creates a bridge between the Bitcoin and podcasting communities.
The Bum Gun: Joel shares his experience with the “bum gun,” a spray hose commonly found in Southeast Asian countries for personal hygiene after using the toilet.
- The bum gun provides a more hygienic alternative to toilet paper and has become a popular method of cleaning oneself in those regions.