Originally aired on September 18, 2023
In this O Show episode, host Wendy O discusses recent crypto news and developments. She talks about being tired and making mistakes predicting Bitcoin’s price action. Wendy covers SEC corruption, the exodus of employees from Binance US, Ethereum’s testnet failure, and donations to earthquake victims in Moscow. Other topics include former Ripple counsel joining Binance US, BlackRock not shifting from Bitcoin to XRP, Gary Gensler turning the SEC into a “banana republic”, and John McAfee on power corrupting. Overall, Wendy provides her usual entertaining and informative show covering diverse crypto industry news.
What did Wendy say about SEC corruption?
- SEC cherry picked targets, going after crypto but letting banks slide
- SEC officials like Bill Hinman wrote crypto regulation to benefit certain projects
- Hinman had ethically questionable ties to firms invested in crypto
- Insider revelations could expose SEC lies if proper evidence exists
What did Wendy say about Binance US?
- Employees leaving doesn’t mean they can’t be subpoenaed
- Volume very low compared to competitors, so business failing
- SEC restrictions centralizing industry into monopoly status
- Wendy wants Binance US to succeed to maintain options
What challenges did Ethereum’s testnet face?
- Delayed launch due to configuration problem on genesis files
- Shows releases don’t always happen as promised
- Need patience as developers work through issues
How did Wendy view CZ’s earthquake donations?
- $3 million is generous, more than most give
- Crypto transactions are transparent unlike other charities
- People shouldn’t dictate where others donate funds
- Applaud good deeds even if you dislike person/company
What was Wendy’s take on John McAfee?
- Bold pioneer in crypto and telling IRS he wouldn’t pay taxes
- Quote: “If you have enough power, you can take anything you want”
- Warning about giving power to governments and expecting no corruption
What political reforms did Ro Khanna propose?
- Banning PAC & lobbyist donations to Congress
- Banning members of Congress from becoming lobbyists
- Term limits for Congress and Supreme Court
- Ethics code for Supreme Court
- Bipartisan support needed
00:00 – Intro
05:20 – Speak to DAIM for financial advice PARTNER
06:45 – The entire crypto market
07:15 – BTC price analysis
11:00 – Why we love John Deaton
12:15 – Ex-SEC official joins Binance US
20:40 – Blackrock isn’t shifting to XRP
23:50 – Ethereum ICO exposed
29:45 – ETH merge anniversary fail
32:35 – Gary Gensler the alien
37:05 – SEC VS Binance US update
40:40 – Hongkong exchange shuts down
41:35 – Malta rewrites crypto rules
42:00 – Gemini VS DCG update
43:00 – Are SBFs parents guilty?
44:50 – CZ defends crypto donations
48:20 – Bill to ban congress from stock trading
50:30 – John Mcafee was first – Listen up