Originally aired on September 25, 2023
In this episode of the Edge of AI podcast, host Ron Levy interviews Zohaib Ahmed, the CEO of Resemble AI. Resemble AI is an enterprise-ready generative voice AI toolkit that focuses on audio-based AI. Ahmed discusses the origins of AI and its potential for creativity and expression. He explains how Resemble AI’s voice cloning service allows users to create custom AI voices and how they are expanding into language dubbing and speech-to-speech translation. Ahmed also highlights the importance of ethical AI and describes Resemble AI’s neural speech AI watermark, which helps protect against deepfakes. Throughout the episode, Ahmed shares his personal experiences and insights as an AI entrepreneur and developer.
The Origins and Potential of AI
- AI started gaining mainstream attention in the early 2010s
- Deep learning, or generative AI, allows for the creation of new content
- Resemble AI focuses on applying deep learning to audio to enhance creativity and expression
Resemble AI’s Voice Cloning Service
- Resemble AI’s voice cloning service allows users to create custom AI voices
- The AI model learns voice characteristics and combines them with text-to-speech capabilities
- Users can have their own voice cloned or use the service for language dubbing and speech-to-speech translation
Addressing Ethical Concerns
- Resemble AI prioritizes ethical AI and the responsible use of voice cloning technology
- The company only allows voice cloning with explicit consent and provides safeguards such as watermarking and defect detection
- The goal is to enable creators while ensuring the technology is used safely and responsibly
Neural Speech AI Watermark
- Resemble AI has developed a watermarking system for audio files
- The watermark is inserted in a way that is inaudible to the human ear
- The watermark persists through training, allowing for traceability and protection of intellectual property
The Future of AI and Creativity
- The ability to use AI for text-to-video automation has the potential to transform industries
- AI-powered second brains could revolutionize productivity and personal assistance
- Open-source contributors and indie developers are inspirational in the AI field
Tips for Using AI Tools
- Play and experiment with AI tools to learn their capabilities and limitations
- View the relationship with AI tools as instructing and collaborating rather than traditional coding
- Embrace the randomness and unpredictability of AI outcomes as part of the learning process
00:00 – Introduction: Resemble AI Overview
03:12 – Who is Zohaib Ahmed? Building Resemble AI by Applying Deep Learning to Audio
08:21 – What is Generative AI, and how is Resemble leveraging this technology?
10:10 – Voice Cloning with Resemble AI: From Accessibility to Creativity & Natural Language Processing!
14:40 – Preserving Trust in Voices: How Resemble is Balancing Progress and Ethics on Deep Fakes
21:15 – Zohaib Origins in AI, from creator to programming for creators!
29:03 – Resemble’s $8M Funding Round: So what’s next for Zohaib?
45:22 – AI Wants To Know: Get to know Zohaib more!
53:08 – AI Leaders and Influences: Who does Zohaib look up to in the AI space?
56:07 – AI Resource List: GitHub, the Lex Friedman Podcast, and more!
58:23 – AI Tips: Play with Open AI’s ChatGPT and understand how these tools can work in your favor (Use Auto GPT!)
Visit Zohaib here: