Originally aired on October 10, 2022
British artist Philip Colbert joins Patrick Tsang on the show “Anything is Possible” to discuss his childhood in Scotland, his journey as an artist, and his unique approach to art. From studying philosophy and art history to creating wearable sculptures and pushing the boundaries of traditional art, Colbert shares his insights and advice for aspiring artists.
What inspired Philip Colbert’s artistic journey?
- Growing up in Scotland with its rich history and magical stories
- Being drawn to art from a young age and gravitating towards it
- Finding confidence and pursuing art professionally after studying philosophy and art history
How did Philip Colbert begin his artistic career?
- The first piece of his work that was sold at an art collection in Chicago
- A transition from more traditional studies to pop art influenced by philosophy and unconventional approaches
- The importance of perseverance, creative freedom, and thinking differently
How did Philip Colbert build on his early success?
- Continuously working in the studio and pushing the boundaries of his art
- Taking confidence from every step forward and using it as motivation to keep going
- Embracing good and bad days and maintaining a methodical approach
What is the inspiration behind Philip Colbert’s lobster artwork?
- A fascination with symbols and their philosophical meaning
- The lobster as a symbol of surrealism and its presence throughout art history
- Using accessible symbols to communicate deeper messages to a wider audience
What advice does Philip Colbert have for budding artists?
- Believing that anyone can do anything with perseverance
- Embracing creative freedom and thinking differently
- Defining oneself through actions and inventing new ways of doing things
How did Philip Colbert feel about his first successful artwork?
- Grateful for the support and appreciation of his ideas
- Gaining confidence and motivation to progress
- Seeing it as a stepping stone towards future success