Originally aired on September 14, 2023
In this episode of What’s Trending, it is revealed that major hotels, particularly those in Las Vegas, are currently facing a massive cyber attack. Residents of Las Vegas were among the first to notice the unusual activities and took to social media platforms such as TikTok to share information. The MGM Resort properties are being held ransom by a group of cyber attackers, and it is reported that Caesar’s entertainment was also a recent victim of a hacking incident, where they allegedly paid a ransom of $15 million to the hackers. It is believed that a group called Alpha or Blackcat is responsible for the MGM cyber security breach. The hackers reportedly impersonated an individual in MGM’s help desk department, resulting in the leakage of sensitive information. At present, MGM’s website is still down, and hotel guests are experiencing long check-in and gambling wait times.
What is the impact of the cyber attack on MGM Hotels?
- MGM Resort properties are under cyber attack, with Las Vegas being one of the most affected areas.
- Las Vegas residents noticed the attack early on and shared information on social media platforms.
- All MGM Resort properties are being held ransom by a group of cyber attackers.
- Caesars entertainment was also hacked recently and reportedly paid a $15 million ransom to the hackers.
What is the group behind the cyber attack?
- The group responsible for the MGM cyber security breach is called Alpha or Blackcat.
- They reportedly impersonated an individual from MGM’s help desk department.
- Sensitive information, including passwords, was revealed during the attack.
- Authorities have yet to confirm these claims.
What is the current status of MGM’s website?
- As of September 14th, MGM’s website remains down.
- Hotel goers are experiencing long check-in and gambling wait times.
- Social media is being used as a platform for guests to share their experiences.