Originally aired on March 24, 2023
Sony PlayStation has recently filed a patent to allow NFT transfers between games, while Epic Games has close to 20 crypto games in the pipeline, marking a significant shift towards blockchain integration in the gaming industry. Other tech giants including Nintendo and Microsoft have also expressed interest and are actively exploring the potential of NFTs in gaming.
Sony PlayStation Files Patent for NFT Transfers Between Games
- Sony is looking to allow NFT transfers between its devices, such as PS5, VR headsets, smartphones, and tablets.
- The patent also mentions the use of NFTs for cross-generational gameplay and tournament rewards.
Epic Games Has Close to 20 Crypto Games in the Pipeline
- Epic Games is embracing blockchain in the gaming industry and has multiple blockchain-based game projects in development.
- The move may be in response to Steam’s ban on blockchain-based games in its ecosystem.
Other Tech Giants are Actively Exploring NFTs in Gaming
- Nintendo has expressed interest in the potential of NFTs and the Metaverse, though they have not yet found a way to incorporate it into their games.
- Microsoft’s Xbox boss, Phil Spencer, sees potential in NFTs in gaming and has expressed caution towards the play-to-earn model.