Originally aired on October 5, 2023
In this episode of The Edge of NFT, hosts explore the collaboration between Gala Games and rep to develop Gala Friends, a new social media platform. The hosts are joined by Jason “BitBender” Brink, the President of Blockchain at Gala Games, and Neil Haran, the CEO and Founder of rep. They discuss the importance of simplicity in web3, the evolution of the gaming industry, and the goal of creating a social network that enhances user engagement and discovery. They also touch on other exciting projects in the Gala ecosystem, such as the upcoming game Champions Arena and the partnership with David Bianchi for film and music projects.
- The Launch of Gala Friends and its Unique Features:
- Gala Friends aims to enhance the gaming entertainment ecosystem by offering features that other social networks lack.
- The platform will feature a gamified and geocaching component, allowing users to interact with each other through treasure hunts and the trading of NFTs.
- The Importance of Simplicity in Web3:
- The hosts discuss the need to simplify the language and concepts of the blockchain space to appeal to a broader audience.
- Terms like “cryptocurrency” and “NFTs” can be confusing and off-putting for newcomers, so finding more accessible ways to describe them is crucial for mass adoption.
- Gala Games’ Approach to Gameplay and Gamification:
- Gala Games focuses on creating fun and engaging gaming experiences that appeal to a wide range of players, regardless of their knowledge or interest in blockchain technology.
- Last Expedition, a AAA first-person PVP e-shooter, is an example of a game that is enjoyable whether or not players are interested in the blockchain aspects.
- The Evolution of the Gaming Industry:
- The hosts discuss the shift from traditional games to blockchain-based games and the potential for blockchain technology to revolutionize the gaming industry.
- By incorporating blockchain elements, such as player-owned assets and play-to-earn mechanics, Gala Games is pushing the boundaries of what is possible in gaming.
- Collaboration with David Bianchi and Filmmaking Projects:
- Gala Games has partnered with David Bianchi, a renowned actor, producer, and entrepreneur, to explore opportunities in the film and music industries.
- They are working on projects like Ghosts of Ruin, an anime series built on Gala Film, and exploring the potential for user-generated content and experiences in these mediums.
- The Growth of the Gala Ecosystem:
- Gala Games is expanding its L1 Gala chain and bringing more people onto the platform.
- Exciting game launches, including Champions Arena and Poker Go, are scheduled, and the company is actively pursuing music and film projects.
Neil Haran is the CEO of Rep.Run and a visionary leader in the Web3 space, leveraging his extensive experience from roles in groundbreaking companies like RawBots to drive Rep’s mission of creating a user-centric Web3 social media network.
Jason “BitBender” Brink is the CMO of Gala, and he brings his wealth of experience to Gala Games as the host of “Ahead of the Game with BitBender,” showcasing his expertise and passion for the evolving Web3 landscape!
Visit them here:
00:00 – Introduction: What is Rep.Run, and how does Gala come into the mix?
01:14 – Who is Jason “BitBender” Brink and Neil Haran – the Powerhouse of Gala
04:12 – Gala Games: Champion’s Arena and Poker Go – What’s Next for these Web3 games?
06:58 – Rep.Run’s beginnings with RawBots – The start of a Social Network that connects everything in the Gala ecosystem
14:53 – What exactly is Rep.Run and Neil’s milestones on this Web3 Project
22:45 – The Intersection between Gaming and Human Interaction: How does Rep.Run tie in with Gala and blockchain gaming in general?
35:55 – What’s next for the Edge of Gala? What to expect from Gala Music and Film in future episodes! (Shoutout to David Bianchi’s RZR)