Originally aired on September 29, 2023
In this episode of Edge of NFT, the host, Josh Kriger, interviews Kyu Lee, the President of Com2uS USA, and Won SUH, the Executive Vice President of Corporate Development for WeMade, to discuss how web3 and blockchain are revolutionizing the gaming industry. Kyu Lee shares the origins of Com2uS and their journey from being a mobile game company to venturing into blockchain gaming. He emphasizes the importance of digital asset ownership in games and the need for games to target a large user base. Won SUH discusses the evolution of WeMade and their focus on creating a platform for game developers to integrate blockchain technology into their games. They also explore the potential of AI in gaming and the impact it can have on content generation. The episode provides valuable insights into the trends and future of the gaming industry in the web3 era.
How Com2uS and WeMade are integrating blockchain in gaming
- Com2uS acquired Come2Us and created the hit game Summoners War, generating over $3 billion in revenue.
- Recognizing the potential of blockchain in gaming, Com2uS decided to focus on web3 and launched their own layer one blockchain called “Explode.”
- WeMade developed bmxplat.com, a platform for game developers to easily integrate blockchain technology into their games.
The challenges and opportunities of web3 adoption in gaming
- The distinct user groups of traditional web2 games and web3 games.
- The need to educate and convert gamers to use digital asset ownership in games.
- The importance of making onboarding and wallet integration seamless for users.
The impact of AI in gaming
- AI can shorten content generation time and help developers create new and immersive experiences for gamers.
- The potential use of AI in NPCs (non-playable characters) and content creation.
The shift towards casual and hyper-casual gaming
- The rise of hyper-casual mobile games due to the shorter attention spans of users.
- The need for game developers to cater to different types of gamers, including those who prefer shorter gameplay sessions.
The potential for brand collaborations in gaming
- Traditional brands, such as drink companies, have collaborated with game developers to offer in-game rewards and engage with gamers.
- The potential for lifestyle brands to tap into the gaming community and enhance their brand presence through partnerships.
The future of gaming in the web3 era
- The importance of making the onboarding process easier for users and improving the user experience of web3 games.
- The potential for smaller game developers to create innovative games with the help of AI and blockchain technology.
00:00 – Introduction: Korea Blockchain Week
00:26 – Who is Kyu Lee of Com2uS?
03:46 – Com2uS’ History: From investors to game developers; looking at Axie Infinity and NBA Top Shot
11:20 – Josh’s takeaways: Com2uS’ lean startup approach
15:18 – What’s Next for Com2uS? Kyu’s personal favorite: MiniGame Party!
18:22 – Who is Won SUH of WeMade? (He’s been gaming since 1996!)
26:30 – What’s Next for WeMade? Night Crows will be the biggest game in Web3 yet!
31:10 – Deconstructing the Free-To-Play to Web3 Gaming Formula: Don’t require a wallet unless they need to!
38:11 – AI in Gaming: It’s not long before NPCs truly create an immersive world