Originally aired on June 28, 2023
In this episode of the Wondros Podcast, Josh Bongard discusses xenobots, which are biological robots that reproduce in an unusual way. He explains his interest in biomimicry and how it influenced the development of xenobots.
What are xenobots?
- Xenobots are biological robots that have the ability to reproduce.
- They are created using a combination of biology and artificial intelligence.
- Xenobots are designed to mimic natural biological systems.
How did the idea for xenobots come about?
- Josh Bongard was inspired by his study of biomimicry and the development of natural biological systems in nature.
- He wanted to explore how these natural systems could be utilized in a different scale, leading to the concept of xenobots.
What is biomimicry?
- Biomimicry is the study of natural systems and processes, and using them as inspiration for designing technologies.
- It involves observing and imitating the structures, functions, and behaviors found in nature.
How do xenobots reproduce?
- Xenobots reproduce through a process of self-healing and regeneration.
- When a xenobot is damaged, it can repair itself by utilizing its biological components.
- The ability to reproduce sets xenobots apart from traditional robots.