Originally aired on Apr 26, 2023
Jesse and Priscilla talk with Marin Carthy, the renowned English folk singer-guitarist who significantly influenced the 1960s folk revival and the genre of social change protest anthems. Carthy was awarded “Most Excellent Order of the British Empire” (MBE), a British order of chivalry that acknowledges key contributions in art and science, and BBC Radio 2 Folk Lifetime Achievement Award.
How was Martin Carthy’s introduction to folk music and how it influenced the folk revival?
- Martin Carthy’s interest in folk music started early on
- Seeing Sam Larner sing was a transformative experience for Carthy
- Larner’s arrangements of traditional songs were musically and lyrically different
- Carthy’s passion for traditional music influenced the folk revival in the UK
- Carthy’s contributions and influence on folk music were recognized with awards and honors