Originally aired on August 8, 2023
Nick Black and Brandon discussed several topics related to cryptocurrency and blockchain technology in this wide-ranging episode. The hosts covered recent news and developments in the crypto space, including PayPal’s launch of its own stablecoin, potential regulations around stablecoins, and updates on the ongoing Ripple vs SEC lawsuit.
Overall, Nick and Brandon provided perspective on adoption trends, analyzing how moves by major players like PayPal could impact crypto’s mainstream traction. They also unpacked issues around accountability and ethics for stablecoin issuers. Throughout the episode, the hosts offered tips for security, assessed the state of the market, and considered the road ahead for Bitcoin.
What is PayPal’s plan with its new stablecoin?
- PayPal launched its own stablecoin Pax Dollar (PUC)
- The stablecoin is issued by Paxos and built on Ethereum
- Allows new types of crypto transactions within PayPal system
- Could be a ramp for crypto deposits and off-ramp for withdrawals
What regulatory concerns surround stablecoins?
- Politicians calling for clear regulations, concerned about risks
- SEC’s Hinman controversy highlights issues of bias, conflicts
- Need for transparency and integrity around stablecoin issuers
How did Nick and Brandon evaluate the crypto market?
- Green market not likely until 2023
- Spot Bitcoin ETF approval could drive bull run
- Makes sense to start dollar cost averaging into Bitcoin
What tips did Nick share on security?
- Never share private keys or click suspicious links
- Scammers relentlessly try to steal crypto
- Use hardware wallets and be vigilant
How is AI impacting the crypto landscape?
- GPT bots scraping data, companies training models
- AI chatbots coming to Google and others
- Precision of questions and prompts will be key
What details emerged around the Ripple SEC lawsuit?
- Disclosure of Hinman’s emails raises bias concerns
- Ripple claims unfair treatment vs other cryptos
- Ongoing issue highlights accountability challenges