Originally aired on October 18, 2023
In this episode of the Bad Crypto Podcast, hosts Joel Comm and Travis Wright reflect on the bear market and discuss their experiences and lessons learned. They discuss the historical trends of the crypto market, including the previous bear market in 2018 and the recent bull run. They also touch on the importance of taking profits and diversifying investments, as well as the potential impact of upcoming events like the Bitcoin halving and the approval of crypto ETFs. The hosts also share their strategies for navigating the current market and offer advice for listeners.
The historical trends of the crypto market
- The total crypto market cap in 2018 reached a peak of $881 billion before crashing.
- The recent bull run saw the total market cap approaching $3 trillion.
- The hosts discuss the potential for another bull run and the importance of taking profits before a market crash.
Lessons learned from previous bull and bear markets
- The hosts share their personal experiences during the 2018 bear market and the recent bull run.
- They emphasize the importance of diversifying investments and not getting caught up in hype.
- Travis shares his regret of not selling certain NFTs at their peak value.
The upcoming Bitcoin halving event
- The hosts anticipate the next Bitcoin halving in 2024 and the potential impact on the market.
- They discuss the concept of scarcity and the decrease in Bitcoin rewards for miners.
- Joel shares his belief in the long-term value of Bitcoin as a reliable investment.
The potential impact of crypto ETFs
- The hosts discuss the potential approval of crypto ETFs, such as those proposed by BlackRock and Grayscale.
- They highlight the importance of self-custody and owning one’s own crypto keys.
- They caution against relying on centralized entities to hold one’s crypto assets.
- Selling NFTs and investing in altcoins
- Joel shares his strategy of selling NFTs for cryptos that he believes are undervalued.
- Travis discusses the potential for altcoins to skyrocket in value and advises listeners to research and choose wisely.
- They emphasize the importance of building up Bitcoin holdings and considering potential economic instability.
The future of AR and VR
- The hosts discuss the potential of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technologies.
- They predict that AR will surpass VR in popularity, especially with the release of Apple’s Vision Pro.
- They anticipate the merging of the physical and digital worlds through AR lenses and the potential for new landscapes created by AI.